View Single Post
Old 07-10-16, 08:21 PM   #1
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Default USS Requin In Pittsburg, PA (Pic Heavy)

USS Requin - SS-481

Carngie Science Center

History Of The USS Requin

Location Of The USS Requin

I was in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania over the weekend. My son and I were in Pittsburgh over the weekend to watch the Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates play baseball. The Pirates played baseball this weekend, I'm not sure what the Cubs were doing. This really has no bearing on my post here, I was just mentioning what I was in town for.

I went to the Carnegie Science Center located on the Ohio River and took a tour of the USS Requin and while there took many pictures of the submarine and its interiors. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of some of these pictures, I guess my camera or my eyesight is somewhat on the old side.

So here the pictures of the Tench class Submarine, the USS Requin (SS-481).

Looking from the shore at the superstructure of The USS Requin.

This next picture is from an info poster of the Requin seen before you walk the ramp to the stern of the sub.

Looking from the walkway towards the bow of the USS Requin.

You board the sub via walkway to the stern of the sub. This next pic is looking forward from the stern.

This picture is looking at the entrance which leads below to the Forward Torpedo Room.

Here's a picture of the Forward Torpedo Room. The torpedo on display to the left of the picture is a Mark 23, BTW. A gentleman that was stationed in the forward torpedo room remarked to me that some sub veterans couldn't understand why they put a Mark 23 in the room.

This set of pictures is just behind the forward torpedo room, I believe this was the Officer's Country.

This next set of pictures is from the Main Control Room.

I believe this pic is of the Bathythermagraph, not 100% sure.

These next pics are from the Main Mess and the Crew's Quarters.

This next pic needs no explanation.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 07-10-16 at 08:47 PM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote