View Single Post
Old 04-28-09, 05:06 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I remember quite clearly that last autumn this forum was brimming with hope and enthusiasm due to the fact of two WWII tank titles were rolling out. But that they both do not have triggered the longevity and lasting interest some may have hoped for, is not a mistake of marketing, since both titles are known, and is not a mistake of the fanbase, but a fault of the shape and quality of the titles: the one obviously unfinished and somewhat broken, the other by design limited in scale and somewhat action-oriented. that the Western publisher went bancrupt, and rumours of that were around since January, didn't help to improve the situation: a bancrupt developer necesserarily lowers expectations for a well-supported game, and puts shadows on any hopes for a healthy and living modding community.

The question also is if today new (young) customers could be won with an eqqivalent title to M1TP2 anymore anyway. They are used to different stuff than we older ones that we remember the golden age of MicroProse and the very first M1TP.

At the same time, SBP may have a dedicated, long-living community and splendid support, but it's higher price tag scares away quite some potential customers nevertheless. That after three years I still cannot mention one name who regretted to have spend the money, does not chnage the fact that initially many people raise their eyebrows when seeing the price. Also, the general gaming community seem to have a stronger interest in WWII tanks as a game theme than modern tanks of the present. at least it seems to me to be like that.

As I see it, there are two titles available worth to be considered, if your interest matches their content. Steel Fury for WWII-interested people satisfied with small scale battles and not too much tactical complexity and straight shooter-like action, and SBP for modern tank sympathisers willing to work themselves into benchmark realism and quite some tactical complexity. If you match any of these two groups, then you can find satisfaction for 30 euros (expect the price for SF to be falling) or roughly 90 euros (dollar-price non-changing) for SBP.

So, honestly said I don't see that much problem with the tank genre there. Right now if you want to play around with historic or modern tanks, you can. And SF2 was announced to be planned by the developer, so there is at least a chance that for the WWII-buffs things will further improve in 1-2 years or so. I admit that modern tankers are better off with the one option they have, but hey, I cannot help it, that's the way the current situation is like.

I recommend to seek contact to the developers and tell them your desires regarding their new titles.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-28-09 at 05:19 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote