View Single Post
Old 11-26-07, 11:59 PM   #36
D'biter
Seaman

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerGreg
In my case, it might be easier to ask which museum subs I HAVEN'T been on. I've been to all but five (Marlin, Pampanito, Cobia, Silversides and Croaker)

I've even been to see the submersibles Intelligent Whale (Sea Girt, NJ), the Fenian Ram (Paterson, NJ) and CSS Hunley. Of course, you can't go inside any of them, but they are each on individual display.

I also got to see the Juliett-class SSG in Providence, RI (three times) before she broke her mooring lines and sank in a storm earlier this year. In fact, I almost went to work there.

So, here's the list:

USS Razorback (SS-394) - North Little Rock, AR
USS Batfish (SS-310) - Muskogee, OK
USS Becuna - Philadelphia, PA
USS Blueback - Portland, OR
USS Bowfin - Honolulu, HI
Russian Foxtrot B-39 - San Diego, CA
Russian Foxtrot - Long Beach, CA
Russian Juliett K-77 - Providence, RI (Currently off display)
USS Cavalla - Galveston, TX
USS Clamagore - Charleston, SC
USS Cod - Cleveland, OH
USS Drum - Mobile, AL
USS Growler - New York, NY (Currently off display)
USS Ling - Hackensack, NJ
Fenian Ram - Paterson, NJ
USS Lionfish - Fall River, MA
USS Nautilus - Groton, CT
USS Requin - Pittsburgh, PA
USS Torsk - Baltimore, MD
U-505 - Chicago, IL

When I lived in DC, my wife and I took a road trip and saw the following boats in a four-day span:

Russian Juliett 484
USS Lionfish
USS Nautilus
USS Growler
USS Ling
Intelligent Whale
Fenian Ram

We stopped to see Becuna, but she was closed that day, and I skipped Torsk, because I had been to see her many times. I went back later and toured Becuna on a different trip.

So, five submarines and two submersibles in four days. We started in Providence and worked south. I drove up from DC and my wife drove from museum to museum because I spent alot of time on the road downloading pictures off my digital camera chip into my laptop, so I would have enough free space on the chip for the next museum.

My plan is to see at least two of the Great Lakes subs and Marlin during a road trip this spring.
you forgot the Albacore in Portsmouth, NH

also, i dont know if this counts, but i believe that the superstructure of the Squalus is up in Portsmouth too
D'biter is offline   Reply With Quote