View Single Post
Old 08-15-16, 12:32 AM   #4462
Travis Reed
Planesman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

I forgot how unforgiving the AI DDs and DEs can be in TMO... Got sent up to patrol around Attu in my Gato (sometime in '42). Radar picked up a pair of ships moving in a column. I was in a passable ambush position, but got spotted before I could take advantage of it. Turned out, both ships were warships. Both had pingers, but only 1 had DCs. DCs hurt me a bit, but were not going to be the (quick) death of me.

I found out that the Gato cannot get under the pingers. Found my crush depth first, just shy of 595 feet. Since there were 2 pinging me from different directions, I could not simply keep a good angle to give poor results/break contact. Needless to say, the Thermal Layer also didn't help (IIRC it was at ~80 feet). It appears I need more practice to remove the rust... Wonder if Jap pingers have the same problem that Allied ones did in SH3, where you could stay shallow enough to not get pinged until the DD/DE was ontop of you...

Last edited by Travis Reed; 08-15-16 at 06:58 AM.
Travis Reed is offline   Reply With Quote