View Single Post
Old 03-04-17, 02:57 AM   #5252
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0

Update from below:

Had a long stretch of bad weather off of the US coast big waves.

Saw an Ore freighter probably going 10 or so knots but could not setup for a good shot.

Some days later, went down south almost to Florida, Medium tanker running north...fast. Still heavy waves, Night surface attack, with all of the high seas and upset, couldn't figure out how fast it was going. Fired one assuming 13 knot target speed. Another 12. One of them hit just aft of the bow.
Never saw this before, the tanker executes 180 turn to port. I mimic to starboard to keep with it. Then it starts settling by the bow. Still has enough energy and executes another 180 degree turn to port back on its original course. Finishes the turn and settles heavy by the bow, its props out of the water. Stops, settles more and sinks. Now I know why they would shut down the engine when practical after being hit.

Moved further south and picked up a large tanker and a small freighter. What was turning into the day late and a dollar short cruise is picking up. Finally got some good weather to pull the rest of the forward overhead G7a's down below in storage. Haven't used anything from the stern yet.

I think after this, I will ask for a cruise down to South Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
Just finished up (I think I will retire him) a good 7 patrol career 26 ships and 190k tons sunk 1940-41 with a VIIC.

Now first trip with a new IXc, March 42, off the coast of the US.
Just off Spain in medium weather, ran into a small freighter. Periscope attack. Using a different method where I only count half a ships length to stopwatch speed. 1 G7e. Missed, was not going to follow up since it was not worth expending more and I had a long way to go. Otherwise I would have caught up later with it at night. Pressed on. Good weather appeared so got 1 G7a down from the overhead storage and put it below.
Great weather coming across, was able to maintain 11 knots most of the way with good fuel economy.
By luck ran into a light and medium tanker (US flag) and got them with the deck gun.
Off Norfolk (my patrol area), weather turned rainy. So tough it out and wait around until that goes away.
Surprised on the surface at night by some kind of small sub chaser or sloop. Very short range, start a dive, It was closing to ram at a good speed with lights on and gunfire. Took some damage from the gunfire. Gave a hard to port order right before impact.
The enemy ship sank right after ramming me.
Damage: flak guns aft destroyed. Attack scope destroyed. Some hull damage and various other damage that is repairable.
So, will have to sort things out. Probably submerge by day; patrol by night. Night scope was also damaged but repaired and back in action. Buy luck, no crew injured or killed.
Should be fun the rest of the patrol.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote