View Single Post
Old 12-01-06, 08:41 AM   #16
DAB
Lieutenant

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
Which is completely against the EULA and the express request of Jamie not to add new playable units. I won't have anything to do with that. Also is Aaken has mannaged to make new playables without sacrificing an existing one, and the only way to do it is by hacking the exe and dlls, he is breaking the law and the trust of SCS.

Yes it was done with SCX, which SCS didn't realise what was going on till it was done. At that time we didn't realise we were doing something we shouldn't have been doing. That is why for DW Jamie expressley forbade us from modding beyond alterations to the database, doctrines and models.

You might moan that since SCS haven't released a package with new playables that it is OK and inevitable for other groups to make them. I disagree. SCS's business plan, flawed as it maybe, required them to make an addon pack should sales of DW suffice. That they havn't doesn't make it ok to go off and do it yourself.
From my understanding, the verbal permission we have been given is actually genuious from a legal point of view. Some publishers are so opposed to mods, there have been soundings in various quarters about punitive measures against people who expand games off their own backs.

Anyways

When you say we have the consent of SCS to mod the database, what exactly are the limits of that modding. I was wondering whether it would be possible to make a playable Polish / Iranian / Algerian Kilo. Its not exactly creating a new playable, but I wonder whether its what SCS had in mind?