View Single Post
Old 04-19-08, 11:56 PM   #127
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
I just hope I don't turn out to be the only person here at subsim who likes the new scopes.
Think this way: You're the person who created this mod, (olc gui) so there's no one here at this forum that know how to use it as well as you do. Nobody will ever hit as many eels as you do, using olc gui. Most people are still struggling to adapt to manual targetting using your disc, and now there's one new difficulty: half zoom. People were used to work with only one periscope, the attack periscope. From the zoom angle, (10x GWX) you could identify the ships flags and have a much better notion of the AOB, the speed, the ship, the cargo, the direction, the whole thing. Now these same people that were learning how to sink ships with manual targetting and use your attack disc (which by the way is not that simple) have to worry about a useless attack periscope. You can't use it to identify the ship's flag and for the lack of magnification is very hard to get the data of the ship's mast and lenght if its too far away (3km). Maybe if you have a 22" LCD, you can. But some people (like me) have 15" CRTs. Its almost impossible to count the number of lines of the mast and the horizontal line, its just too small.

I know that this is all for the good advantage of seeing the ocean as it is, wavy, not a pancake, but most people are very used to that pancake effect, since SH3 stock, and they don't even notice it. For example, I didn't ever noticed those pancake waves until you mentioned, so I went to the game and said to myself "oh, yeah, thats right...". But I'll tell you that infortunally, very very few people will use this attack periscope at 3x zoom levels coz its just too hard. You are having fun, coz you're good at this. Even at 1x zoom you can sink those clawns, you are excelent at getting the data, maybe you've done this too long and learned perfectly. But for most people, it will be too hard. After two or three patrols, everybody will stop and think "gosh, I'm missing all my eels... this is no fun" and then the un-pancaked ocean will get less interesting, coz if you're not getting fun at the game, you dont have a reason to play it.

For those who can have a lot of fun using 3x zoom, GREAT! I bet that your gaming experience will be better then mine!

For those who are not born to be a weapon officer, this will be a pain in the ass and unfortunally will be replaced for OLC's GUI 1.2.3.

This is very sad... I know how you feel... The intention was good and pure, unfortunally this game is very short in options, if you fix something, you ruin another, and I've been on this road long enough to know it.

Anyway, in overall this is a masterpiece of a mod and I'll use it forever, until the end of SH3 days, and I will recommend to everybody, as well as put it on my signature with pride!

For those with great data capturing skills, have fun! For me, well... I'll have to work around this problems fixing those files to my taste... until I learn how to aim like you do!