View Single Post
Old 12-15-16, 02:10 PM   #17
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
What would be an acceptable texture resolution (in pixels) and file format/compression for SHIII? Moreover, do you prefer external or embedded textures?
I Prefer embedded textures. For the resolution, I think maximum 2000x2000 pixels.

Quote:
I always rework heavily free 3D models I find on the web, because they rarely have the vertex resolution and other properties which suit game models. If need be, I can add some more detail to the lighthouse mesh, but we should also keep an eye on file size; adding very complex objects near land is always a bit risky, you know.
Yes, just a little more detailed, but not all the 3D details.

Quote:
If you look at the model of the Dune light house, most of its details (such as windows, doors, rivets, ladders on the concrete pedestal, etc.) are just painted on its surface. Well made self-illumination, normal and ambient occlusion maps, together with a good diffuse textures can do miracles and bring new life even to the oddest model
Yes, sure. Look at the model I've sent to you : windows and machicolations are just textured, but it looks good !

Quote:
I am talking about the rocks that the lighthouses are rising from. Those need to be integral part of each model so we can only have one fixed depth for each lighthouse,
Yes, me too. As the LH won't be sea or land units, we just have to set "onland=false" in the Locations.cfg files, and the node of the LH will always be at the sea level, whatever the depth is. But I agree that we attach the rock to the LH model. I was just thinking that we could use the same model of rock for several LH, maybe a little reworked and with a different stone texture for more diversity ! But if you want to model a totally different rock for each LH, it's even better !

Quote:
unless you want to make that kind of lighthouses into sea units. If the latter is the case, I could create a set of rocks of different heights to be placed in a library file, and to be conveniently linked to each lighthouse "unit" through eqp file.
Not at all.

Quote:
On the other hand, we would enjoy much more flexibility for customizing the appearance/look of them at various stages of the war (some lighthouses were destroyed during the conflict and some others, including La Vieille as I read, were abandoned/obscured late in the war). This is something we can't do with regular land units.
Ah, didn't think about that. I don't think it's very important for now.

Quote:
I see a reticule but wath is the scale?
Let's work with your imagination ! Under and above water reefs would be excellent ! But not too many ! Remember that we can use a danger buoy to mark the danger !