View Single Post
Old 03-27-14, 01:25 PM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyUSA View Post
It is easier to calculate the angle between two bearing (in LAG los)with the pocket calculator :
angle = arctan((So*2/60)/(length segment bearing from ownship and the intersection point))
Br= angle/2 [DEG/min] ''always approximated for defect''
Sure, a pocket calculator does make it easier. I didn't find that much math though in that document that you suggested. Or it is hidden in the Italian text. Do you have any other suggestions where I can find how this formula is used and explained? Feel free to make us a tutorial.

Quote:
Zig-zags method is useful when target is very far. Allen Schrader in his video show a TMA solution of one target (civil) at range 35 nm. In this situation there is insufficient relative motion between the two platforms and is necessary to move along three/four legs (LAG and LEAD) with 4/5 bearings for leg, exactly Zig-zags.
So, this is a unusual scenery. Method inefficient for target range less then 11 nm (probable scenery).
Well, speed changes only also helps to change the bearing rate. But not as much as a lag-los. I can't comprehend this method that you suggest in the first message, so I can't really say anyting about it's preference for short range TMA.

Quote:
Plotting Procedures in Dangerous waters aren't necessary, but certainly in the Second World War
Until you frequently patrol close to the bottom and near to the shores. Then you'll like to do a bit more depth contour-plotting by yourself. It's a shame it isn't possible during play really, as the code is obviously built into the engine. If I can plot circles and crosses, why not lines? Time comparison between modern and WW2 eras is just no excuse. I'm sure real life operators would have this function.

I know there is MoBo, the electronic manoeuvring-board application. But it is external to the game.

Last edited by Pisces; 03-27-14 at 01:40 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote