View Single Post
Old 02-07-06, 12:46 AM   #1
Excalibur Bane
XO

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Default Jane's Fleet Command

I loved that game. I bought it on chance ages ago, five years perhaps? Who can remember anymore? It was an exceptional game. I liked commanding the overall picture with some eye candy to see your plans unfold first hand, instead of playing a spreadsheet like Harpoon or the like.

I played that baby 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for at least three months. It was just realistic enough that it didn't make things overly complicated, and really gave the sense that one was commanding a true fleet. I was definately disgruntled when it wouldn't install under Windows XP. I was forced to shelf it.

Which would bring us to the present day. I found that Win XP patch by chance, and I was quite delighted. Unfortunately, the game is running like crap. I'm getting about 10 fps if that, on 1024 x 768. Ironically, it ran better on my old P3 600 then it does on this monster. Anyone have this game and have any ideas as to how to improve the game's performance? It would be nice if I get this baby working in it's full glory with a little AA and AF.

I looked around the net for some dedicated forums but there doesn't seem to be any out there. I did find a rather massive project to reprogram the game to match the weaponry of the current generation. It looked extremely impressive. For the die-hard realism junkies anyway. I was quite content with the game as it was. If I wanted anymore realism, I'd join the Navy and work my way up to Admiral.

I just got up now (Yup. I wake up when the sun goes down. I have to feed ) so I'm gonna look around and see if I can find the site again, maybe the mod will fix the performance problem. I'll post a link back here in case any of you are interested in it.

Edit: Finally found it. Rather difficult to find. Naval Warfare Project v18.0 is the current release. You can find more info here. Quite the project. The FAQ is especially interesting. These fellows have definately put alot of work into that project.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing."
Excalibur Bane is offline   Reply With Quote