View Single Post
Old 09-18-05, 10:04 AM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I like the idea of the Kilo-Imp curve being slightly flatter. But in each of these examples, the Kilos start at SSN sound levels or hit it after 1 knot.

I think you're trying to make sure the Kilos are louder than SSNs at speed, which is determining where they start. If you flatten the SSN curves out a bit, you can set it up so that both SSKs start below the SSN's but catch up and exceed them at speed. I've got an alternative chart I made up that uses semi-parabolic curves for the SSNs so the SSKs can overtake them. There are basicly three slopes, a shallow curve from about 1-8 knots, an intermediate curve 8-20 knots, and then 20 up gets no mercy. I refered to a common comparison chart to guestimate the relative noise levels of the SSNs to each other:

In general, I gave the US subs flatter curves than the Russians, the Seawolf's curve is particularly flat compared to the others (it worked out pretty well too...the 20kt speed is within 1NL of the 688 flight 1 at rest ) The SSKs are steep, with the Kilo-I slightly flatter than the regular Kilo. They both start out below the SSNs; the regular Kilo catches up at 4 knots and the Kilo-I at 7.

I'd like to know what people around here think about my chart, but I have no idea how to post it...
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote