View Single Post
Old 04-02-19, 12:11 PM   #5
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenseenButton View Post
Thanks for the information I always wondered why there is no way in the mission to find out about the bottom type as it is difference like back and white when muddy or sand is helping you why rocky hard bottoms make it even worse for your sub due to reflections. But editor is at least a workaround.

In order to translate the graphic to the SSP display of DW, am I correct that figure 2) is when sound is getting slower with bigger depth and figure 3 is when sound is getting quicker with bigger depth right?

What do you mean with pre-RA, are there drastic changes in RA about this concept?
FYI, bottom type only matters for the bottom limited SSP (number 3 in p7p8's figure). In game, all bottoms act as "rock" in surface duct or convergence zone layer types. So, bottom type should only be a concern in shallow areas, provided the map maker chose a sensible SSP. Also note that SSP examples 1 and 2 in that figure do not exist in Dangerous Waters, only SSP examples 3, 4, and 5 do.

When you look at the boxes to the left of the ray-tracing in that figure, they show velocity and depth. As you move left to right, velocity increases, and as you move up to down, depth increases. Therefore, for example 2, the speed of sound is decreasing with depth and in example 3, the speed of sound is increasing with depth. The speed of sound increases when the water temperature goes up and the speed of sound increases when the pressure goes up, and vice versa.

I made a video to visualize all of this because there's a lot going on with SSPs that I think a video makes it easier to understand, check it out if you want.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote