View Single Post
Old 12-19-18, 08:48 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I think while I slowly sneak upon my target of achieving a longtime-shooting installation, I post my test results over the coming days. The camera is good, very good, and maybe somebody is interested in some tech feedback in numbers and results and finds this helpful.

Firsts go first: I tested whether the camera runs with external power supply, a powerbank (for the bicycle battery I still wait for the cable needed). Well, the camera does work with my external powerbank, via USB-C to USB cable, even better: it works so without having its own internal akku put in. Leave the battery out, therefore, and only use an external power source. Passed! - The bike battery thing I must test later.

I have a Sandisk 64 GB Extreme Pro micro SD card in use currently. Testing in 4K with 60 frames, which has hypersmooth support, the camera told me That I can record up to 2 hours 2minutes with that storage capacity.

I tested a one hour continiuous shot with that resolution. At the end of that time, 1 hour, the previously loaded internal battery was down to 9-10%. Sitting inside its mounting cage, the camera got warm, very, on both sides (battery left, electronics right), and the one metal part there is, the ring around the protection glass on front, got very hot indeed: I measured it and estimated it as good as I can by comparing the feel on my lips to that of warm water, and used then a tea thermometer: I got a value on the ring of around 50-55°C, and the cage frame around 40°C. I read somewhere the lockdown temperature of the camera is around 65°C. Room temperature is around 20°C currently. However: the camera did not lock down. - Passed!

The camera cut the recording into several individual pieces of 3.9 GB lengths, all in all 25.3 GB were consumed of 59.4 GB available - that is less than 50%. - Passed!

I did some still image shots as well, used the camera as a pohtoo camera indeed. The images were crispy, razorsharp, and definitely full HDR. Indeed they were better than with my old Canon powershot 595IS which has 8 MPixels and is several years old. The ProGo has 12 Mpixels. The GoPrpo shows everythiong from 1 cm to the distant horizon as sharp as if it were stamped with a laser. A photocamera leaves you more freedoms, so is to be preferred, but if you only have this with you, do not think it makes no sense to use this option - it definitely makes an awful lot of sense indeed!

I also noted the very good microphones, three of them. I have currnetly a house construction site nearby, maybe 90-100 meters away. They have a crane, and quite some machine gear in use. I can hear them calling at times, but cannot understand what they say, its muffled, tioned down. When doping a testshot on my balcony this morning, the workers obviously were recorded as well, and when I chekced the film on computer, with headphones , I understood EASILY every single word they were talking - some curses included. Really, very good, life-like sound there is, in stereo. Better than the two main mikes I still have flying around somewhere in my room. They write the camera can also identitfy to a certain degree monotonous sounds like wind or engine noise, and tone it down to some level. I will see when doing bike tests.

Next I will test external powerbank with no internal akku, and filling the SD card, to see whether that works. The resolution I will set to 2.7K, 60 frames, superwide view, and 16:9 ratio. this or frames 120 will most likely be the setttings I use for the bicycle touring thing. 4K just makes no sense for me. I do not have no monitor or TV with 4K, nor would I need one, and currently I have no codecs installed to process 4K on computer.

4K/60W - hypersmooth on - 1 hour - internal battery consumption 90-91% - memory consumption 25.3 GB - temperature 40-50°C (room temp 20°C, no wind or sun)

Last edited by Skybird; 12-19-18 at 11:07 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote