View Single Post
Old 06-20-17, 04:58 AM   #2
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I still get a lot of CTD's after attacking convoys and task forces and breaking contact. This had become manageable as I would simply save and reload, and it was no problem other than sometimes would not give me credit for all the ships I sunk but didnt bother me. I knew what I sunk.

Now its started doing it again and the saves wont reload, they crash to desktop when I try to reload. One did reload, but then had the annoying bug where the gauges, sonar all are stuck in the 12 o clock position. Any ideas?
That pretty much disappeared for me when I made sure my current SH4.exe was under Large Address Aware. I also took the precaution of downloading Smart Game Booster (4th Edition, I believe) and run it before starting SH4 (any variety). It closes off a number of Applications and Windows processes and services that are not needed to run the game, and turns them back on when SH4 closes. It gives the maximum amount of memory, which I felt was part of the problem with incomplete save files. BUT, and there is always a BUT, it is just my theory that seems to stand up in practice. Also, and this may be silly, but when I hit the Save button, I watch the disk activity light on my machine. I don't hit the Resume or Exit buttons until all noticeable activity likely related to the Save action have stopped. It only takes a few seconds, but I like to think I am giving the system enough time to complete writing out the save files.

Just my process that seems to work for me...

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote