View Single Post
Old 03-19-24, 07:52 AM   #237
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Reminds me of personal computers. I once spent two grand on a 486 laptop with Windows 3.1 only to see win 95 Pentiums come out a year later.

Yes, that's it, exactly. Except $60 grand is a bit more of a bite. Plus, when things go wrong with an EV, it's serious money to repair--talking Land Rover money $$$

I had a friend who drove a nice gas-powered car, was solid, a few years old but worked fine. He had it overheat, so he stopped and when it cooled down, refilled the radiator and went on. It overheated again, he repeated. And when I say it overheated, I mean, he didn't noticed the temp gauge buried in the red, he noticed the antifreeze smell and the car slowing down.

He took it to a shop, they changed the radiator (why? I don't know, they obviously didn't test it). Did not fix the problem. So, instead of getting a competent shop to find the problem, he kept driving it. Yeah, in a week it seized up. Now he's looking at used cars at the $30,000 range to replace it. It would have been a lot smarter to spend $500 or so to diagnose the issue and fix it.

Now with EVs, when they break down, how many of us can repair the battery system?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote