View Single Post
Old 07-13-18, 03:39 PM   #125
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

I did better today against the Spearfish without modifying it's capabilities. It remains imo one of the most formidable weapons I have yet encountered. Too many at the same time and your goose is cooked. One or two at a time can be overcome if the circumstances are right.

You definitely have to give these fish something else to chase. Even if you Tango to the point where you break their lock on your sub, they will reacquire you unless they sniff something else closer than you are.

A moss fired in the direction of a sunken vessel works sometimes assuming I can break the target lock in the vicinity of a suitable moss. If the Spearfish is following the moss and doesn't reacquire me, it will often follow that moss right to the sunken sub and detonate itself. Bing -1 Spearfish.

All this time I have been Jitterbugging with the other one and it ain't giving up and of course I am out of decoys and running out of noisemakers real fast. The Yasen doesn't knuckle as easily or as reliably as the seawolf for example so in a pinch I can't count on making a knuckle and if too close the torp doesn't care, you can see it smile as it chews your propeller. You can't outrun this thing - it closes the distance like a formula 1.

With no moss left I have sacrificed a perfectly good Mk48 but they don't produce the same results as reliably as does a moss. The key to surviving the dance of death with a Spearfish, is giving it something else to hunt. With no other prey, they always seem to find me again. Even when I'm counting down the minutes until it expires, from 1200 feet below it and some distance away running a 5 knots. If I so much as twitch, it breaks away and down it comes and we're off square dancing this time praying it won't be a long swansong... You can get lucky only so many times with this beast.

Forget about using the -/+ 30 ballast trick on this fish.
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote