View Single Post
Old 10-10-17, 04:36 PM   #5381
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What boat are you in, and the date at Midway there, torpedobait? You are into CapnScurvy territory there, and he'll probably want more detail. I had a boat a few weeks ago in a single mission file with the periscope mounted radar, and it worked wonderfully in a Balao...
I am in a campaign started on Dec. 8, 1941. Currently In Port @ Midway January 2, 1945; Boat is Balao; added the ST Periscope Radar (already had the SV Elite (air search) Radar. Departed Midway Jan. 16 for Area 4.

Just before I reached my first standard save area, 60 NM West from Midway, I went to the radar station bar and turned on the radars using the former "Raise/Lower Radar Mast" button. The message box confirmed the radars were ON. I then noticed a separate button on that radar bar for the surface search radar, but it was apparently inoperative. Going to the screens I found them blank and was unable to fire either one up. I tried moving the on/off switch on the left below the screens, but that wouldn't operate even though the switch would light up when I passed the cursor over it.

I turned the radars on/off several times using the old "raise/lower" mast button, but that only changed the message, not the state of the radar (as far as I can tell). I had a visual at 5.2 NM on a steamer, and before that an alert from the sonar operator, but never saw it on radar.

Hope this info helps.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote