View Single Post
Old 09-28-18, 07:41 AM   #10
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

One of the two twin Oerlikons on the quarterdeck. You'd think after 10 years of owning my own camera I'd be able to get the exposure settings right by now!

The winch for the FXR torpedo decoy.

One of the K-guns and more ready use depth charges.

An assortment of damage control tools.

One of four showers for the entire crew.

The crew's washroom and battle dressing station.

A crappy picture of the engineer's office, basically to show that, yes, there is a picture of Betty Grable somewhere on the ship.

The Slater's 26 foot motor whaleboat. Although something like 26,000 were built, this is the only one in the world still afloat and running.

For an extra six dollars, you can get a 20 minute tour of Engine Room B3 and Motor Room B4. These areas are still works and progress, and I'm assuming the extra fee goes towards restoring them. It was rather dark down there, but I managed to get two decent pictures of the two big General Motors 16-278A diesels in B3.

All in all, I really enjoyed touring the Slater, although I'm a little dissapointed I wasn't able to see all the areas accessible to vistors, and that the tour went a little too fast for my taste. The ship's website has a lot of excellent 360 degree panoramas, so I'm not totally heartbroken.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote