View Single Post
Old 06-20-11, 02:19 PM   #13
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I can agree with you here the FG42 is not truly an AR(from our modern concept) but if you put into that category it is a poor one but it was trying to perform the same role that an AR does (the light MG is ill advised but other AR also tried to fill this) so I see no foul in calling an AR.You will also see it found in most every technical source or book listed as an AR even Ian V. Hogg one of the leading firearms/military equipment writers of his time classifies the FG42 as an AR.I know that the weapon was supposed to fill multiple roles for paratroops but by and large any weapon that attempts to combine the roles of an SMG and a rifle can be considered an AR or you could call it an OCTFTMRFPKEW:Overly Complex Attempting To Fill Too Many Roles For Paratroopers Kinetic Energy Weapon if you want to.
The FG-42 can't really be placed into a specific weapon category, because it was only designed to solve a specific problem. Since the Germans had a terrible system for executing combat drops, their weapons had to be airdropped separately and were often not available when needed (See Battle of Crete), so they developed a weapon which could fulfill the roles of all traditional infantry weapons, even if not ideally. If you look at it from that context, it makes sense. For example, it's difficult to produce in large quantities, but that's not such a big problem because it was only intended to be issued to paratroopers, not to dozens of army divisions.

It had its flaws, of course, but you can't really label it as a failed assault rifle as it wasn't designed to be an assault rifle in the first place, even if it does have similarities to one.