View Single Post
Old 02-18-13, 04:47 PM   #40
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
I love the Lightning. Third Wire's "War over Europe" flight sim has the Lightning. I don't how how the real one flies, but in game it is basically a rocket, a danger (to its pilot), can't out turn or out maneuver any other fighter, but very fast. Perfect for intercepting Red bombers or getting in and out of combat quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Actually those aren't facts, they're claims. They are all valid and substantiated claims, but there is still a difference.

First, acceleration. The Lightning has an empty weight of 31,068 pounds and maximum thrust with AB is 32,000 lbf (foot/pound) total. The F-15 has an empty weight of 28,000 lb and a maximum thrust of 50,000 lbf. That should tell you something right there. I would have used standard takeoff weights but I coudn't find that number for the Lightning. Maximum takeoff weights are 45,750 lb (Lightning) and 68,000 lb (F-15) which means that the Eagle is the lighter aircraft with more thrust, but can carry a lot more ordinance, which is irrelevant to a discussion on performance.

One of the hallmarks of the F-15 is the wing design, which allows a 70-degree pitchout, meaning the plane is stable through a much tighter turn than normal. It also means that it is stable in a near-vertical attitude in very slow flight. I have personally seen one of their favorite airshow tricks: The plane comes over the field at around a 70-degree angle, only making about 30 knots. Once he is in front of the audience the pilot kicks in the afterburners and the Eagle will accelerate straight up until he is completely out of sight.

The Lightning was, and is, a great aircraft, and among the fastest, but modern aircraft work toward what is most important in a dogfight, and that's maneuverability.
Designed as an 'interceptor' eons ago and fullfilled her requirement adequately

Pity about the crap ordnance she carried

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote