View Single Post
Old 04-25-12, 08:41 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurstdimsum View Post
Back to the sim guys, when I attempt it with the uzo it jumps all over the place making it impossible to do the mast hight calculations - do any of you have any simpler methods for manual tdc ? Anybody try it in the sim? I find a surface attack in the dark easier as I'm very rarely spotted even at flank speed unless I'm under 1000 yards.
It's very hard to do repeated calculations on the fly, so I would think that moving as slowly as possible is best. It's like one of my favorite misconceptions in surface wargaming. People want their battleships to be like Star Trek, doing evasive manuevers to throw off the other guy's shots while having your own still hit every time. Naval gunnery is far from precise, and you want your ship to the most stable platform possible, so you go as straight as possible. Evasive action is like smoke, useful only for running away when the chips are down.

You want your calculations to be as precise as possible, so you go slow and only turn when you absolutely have to.