View Single Post
Old 10-19-13, 03:38 AM   #5
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
Welcome, and thank you for the honest feedback. This is exactly the kind of feedback we need to make the game even better. I will try to address some of your points with what we know about the present and future:

I hear you on the manual; thankfully Matrix listened and they've provided a printer-friendly version, here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3418599
Thank you!

Quote:
Also, if you downloaded v1.00 please make sure you get & install the v1.01 update, which has a lot of fixes & improvements. (It also includes an updated version of the AAW tutorial which is a little easier for beginners).
Already updated, as I said.

Quote:
As you say there are already alternatives, and you can even make your own (some guys have made high-contrast mods, for example).
Is there a good download area? Or is all spread out in different forums?

Quote:
This [Images in database] was a hard decision for us, no doubt. Back in the Harpoon era anyone attempting to sue for the inclusion of the images, drawings etc. would be laughed out of the court. Today you're receiving letters from lawyers faster than you can say "fair use".
I understand, that's why I said drawings, maybe silhouettes... anything is better than nothing. Many sports games can't afford paying the license and make the game the way the community can easily insert the real player names... but this takes me back to the cost of the game.
Quote:
As you say there are already community image packs and in fact today we are releasing a big update (over 650MB).
Sorry, I don't understand this, are you talking about a game update or a database images one?

Quote:
We added a dedicated weapon page in the DB viewer in v1.01, and we're also going to add hyperlinks in the places where weapons are commonly listed (e.g. aircraft loadout selection) so that you can click and read.
Only for weapons? No for units?

Quote:
You can configure which of the messages will appear (Game -> Game Options -> Message Log), and even set certain types to raise a pop-up that stops the clock (useful for incoming weapon alerts).
I know and I've already done that, but my point is that for me is useful to know some things, but no others. For instance: 11:29:22 - New contact! Designated SKUNK #5 - Detected by USS North Carolina [Sensors: AN/BLQ-10(V)1] at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
This is an in-game message. What's AN/BLQ-10(V)1???? "Go to the database", you could say, but that's my point, I don't want to need to go to the database... I went and found that is... active radar!! Apart from the fact that a submarine shouldn't have the use of radar on as default (I didn't change it), would have been far more useful a message saying: 11:29:22 - New RADAR contact! Designated SKUNK #5 - Detected by USS North Carolina- at 255deg - Estimated 139NM. Or, even better: 11:29:22 - USS North Carolina - New RADAR contact! Designated SKUNK #5 - at 255deg - Estimated 139NM
And this is a simple example, messages involving missiles hit/miss are more complex.
If this would be followed by a voice alert, even better.

Quote:
[Window display] Can you elaborate on that? If you mean the ability to quickly jump in areas of interest we have something in the works for that.
Yes, I'm sorry. I show you how I'm playing:

I would like the log window to be a bit wider, but there's no possibility of shrinking the map window more than that.
The unit control window can't be resized, so I have to move it sometimes to see what's behind. Would be great to be able to integrate it on the right column. Or being able to resize it and put it under the log window.
My laptop's window resolution is 1280x800.
This reminds me a bug I've found!: my windows in in Spanish and, if you look at the time row, the date comes in Spanish. You can see it in the image.

Quote:
We hear you. More sounds are in the cards. Optional background music too. (BTW you can customize _any_ sound!)
Good to know. Be careful with background music, though, is almost impossible to have a good one than people can listen for more than 20 minutes... I use to switch music off in almost every game.

Quote:
Again, thank you for all the observations and rest assured you're not alone in voicing many of your remarks. We are listening, we have already made many changes as a direct response to player feedback and even more stuff is on the way.

Stick around. It's going to be one hell of a ride!
Thanks to you for your answers!