Thread: [REL] patSH3r - Reborn
View Single Post
Old 11-28-15, 03:45 PM   #111
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
Hello Sublynx. Could you explain me what you are talking about ? I don't understand.
I have never navigated in real life nor can I really understand vector mathematics, so this is going to be awfully difficult for me to write, but maybe it'll help a bit on where to look for clearer info. Perhaps someone else will help as well.

Situation 1.
I want to go straight to East. I click the compass to change the course to 90 degrees True. The wind is 0 m/s. No problem. The U-boat sails accurately to East.

Situation 2.
I want to go straight to East. I click the compass to change the course to 90 degrees True. The wind is 15 m/s. Two factors push the U-boat badly off course:
a. the wind pushes the boat away from the wanted vector (this is realistic and could be compensated by using real life navigation techniques, if not for the bug described in b.)
b. the AI lets the U-boat turn from the wanted course. First perhaps it's 91 degrees, then the compass indicates 92, then 93, etc. This is unrealistic, it means no-one is at the helm, someone has basically fallen asleep and the boat is drifting with no control at all. This makes the real life navigation technique of dead reckoning near impossible at times.
Here's a link to an explanation on dead reckoning and how wind direction and speed are compensated for in real life navigation:

http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...N/Chapt-07.pdf

The ways the AI in SH3 deals with this are:
1. the usage of automatic waypoints (setting the course in Navigation map F5 view) keeps the desired and route despite wind conditions
2. the U-boat's position is always marked exactly right in the F5 view (U-boats didn't have a satellite positioning system, so they didn't always know their exact positions on the map)

The basically satellite-based system makes manual targeting too easy in SH3. For example the 3:15 method is really nice, fast and unhistorical to use with a known U-boat position, because you see all the time where your U-boat is and can just draw a couple of lines from a known point in space and time.

Hide the U-boat symbol from the map and target speed and course estimating, and intercept point estimating becomes wholly different. Instead of GPS navigating and waypoints the U-boats used techniques described for example in the Kriegsmarine Angriffscheibe Handbuch by Hitman and KLH:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...1&postcount=72

The American mariners used maneuvering board techniques, like the ones described in the 1941 US Navy Maneuvering Board Manual:
https://archive.org/details/maneuveringboard00unit

If the Helmsman bug is fixed, one can start using some real life navigating techniques both for travelling and more realistic navigation during long convoy approaches, battles and shadowings.

One way to get a grip on all of this is downloading Aaronblood's Electronic MoBo from the downloads section. IIRC it was done with the assistance of a real life Navy Officer.