View Single Post
Old 04-25-12, 10:26 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

No, not much of Das Boot was accurate, at least in the operational sense. The interiors were great, but the crew's reactions were overstated and the portrayal of actual operations was limited and in some cases flat-out wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandosolo2009 View Post
1- Charging in, surfaced, or merely decks awash in the presence of a destroyer is pretty unrealistic, unless it's darks enough, but the moon fading into the sky doesn't necessarily mean that the boat is in 'stealth' mode.
Agreed. Night surface attacks were conducted at low speeds, often using electric motors to keep noise and smoke down.

Quote:
2- The captain was desperate and if you watched the full movie, they had a transmission of a convoy which they couldn't round to. capt. was supposed to make it steady into any of those conditions.
Even more in the book than in the movie the captain is far from perfect, and makes several mistakes.

Quote:
3- About the full speed firing, the torpedos had more speed than the boat even at low setting, and additionally get an air induction on their way out. So I don't see why not charge at full speed.
Themrwho's question was whether the outer doors could open and that speed, not how fast the torpedoes were. I also wonder if the outer doors could open at 15+ knots.

Quote:
4- they moved to the forward room to quick dive. Imagine there were slots at the game for that.
That's something that's always bothered me. I've read that they really did that, but I wonder why, given that the diving tanks were capable of transferring up to 20 tons of water between fore and aft trim tanks, many times the weight of the entire crew.