View Single Post
Old 10-30-17, 01:07 AM   #15
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCruise View Post
Gotta admit I like AMD CPU's as well. One of my fav's from a build long ago was the AthlonXP 2500. Barton core, extremely overclockable.

With GPU's I was a RADEON guy, though now I'll probably buy either. I still have a 9700PRO brand new in the box from ages ago. Also have a old A-BIT mobo brand new in the box based on the nVidia2 chipset. My fav was the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NVidia 2 chipset. At the time was the best. Another overclockers dream board.

"CC"

It's still in the box I packed it in, but I have a 2500XP Barton core on a Mach-speed mother board, with 1GB DDR RAM (2x512).

I got it second hand from a friend after he got a Socket 764 64bit, after my 1.4ghz Athlon (Thunderbird) got knocked off the desk and cracked the socket "tab" that the heat sink clamp clipped onto.

Still need to grab a small HDD and get it running with WIN98 for some of my really old stuff (No online activation on 98).

I used to buy ATI cards, always cards that had "built by ATI" on the box, and I never had a bad card.
Starting with a K6-2 500mhz (in 99?) with a Rage IIC, then a Rage 128, then a Radeon 8500. Got a 9700XT from that same friend and it was a Saphire built card.
Worked great until my cat "marked" the system.

Replaced it with a Visiontek 2400 Pro. Worked good.
With my dual core about 10 years ago I stayed with Visiontek until I couldn't find them any more. I had 2 X1650, 1 HD 2600XT, 1 HD 4850 (70FPS in a heavy firefight on Crysis with this one), then when I couldn't find Visiontek I got a XFX 6750, followed by a 2nd a few months later.
Visiontek cards were 256bit memory interface, XFX was 128. Took both 6750s to best that 4850.

I got factory overclocked XFX R7 370X, then Gigabyte R9 380....

So far all manufacturers have been really good.

As far as Nvidia, Last one I tried was a FX5200 (?, might have been a step up from that model, got it after XP scrambled the colors on my Radeon 8500), it played the intro movie to the 2005 NFS Most Wanted better than my old 128MB Radeon 8500, but did NOTHING else better. That Saphire 9600XT replaced it.
A friend got a 980Ti from his wife as an anniversary present, he sold it about a year later, and got a 1080Ti. His main complaint so far has been drivers. He upgrades, and nothing runs good, so he has to downgrade, and wait for the next update to try again...
He noted he never had that when running his AMD cards.

Other than that Mach-speed (to replace a SOYO with a failed AGP slot), I've run nothing but ASUS and Gigabyte.
K6-2 500 had a Gigabyte, 1.4 Athlon was on a Gigabyte (with a hardware Sound Blaster 128 sound card!), Athlon 5600 x2 was a Asus M2R32-MVP, still funtional, sitting on the desk next to me, and lastly my FX8350 is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3.

Built a few systems for friends with Asrock... Last time I tried MSI, they were about like Shuttle, and PC chips motherboards.

When the Phenom was released there were a few Computer stores/retailers that were giving away the MSI motherboard FREE with the Phenom.

When I checked back with the guy that actually knew what he was doing, most of them had to be replaced.

But if they have improved (heard several reports of this lately), then that gives another option when choosing a motherboard, which is never a bad thing!

One of the main reasons now that I stick with AMD/ATI cards is that they are supported "out-of-the-box" on Linux, as the "official" AMD driver is in the kernel.
So no more "iffy" detection unless running in VESA mode, and I don't have to install or wait on updated drivers when the new Kernels are released.

I'm waiting on the sales that will inevitably start soon, I'm trying to decide on a RX 580, or a Vega 64...
Decisions, decisions!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote