Thread: IL2 1946 Boring
View Single Post
Old 01-13-07, 03:33 AM   #25
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Well, not quite from the modding standpoint. Sure these games have great campaigns - no doubt, Falcon would never have what it has were it not for the ambition of its designers - but the campaign came in an with a game released in unplayable state (in the case of Falcon 4.0) or a state that was at best problematic (CFS3).

I would agree that IL-2 has not been ambitious in many departments, though, especially campaigns.

Really, my hope is that SHIII (and perhaps SHIV) turn heads among sim developers - back to true dynamic campaign. IL-2's "dynamic campaign" is a joke in some sense. We've not had a true dynamic campaign in a flight sim for years, and certainly none that even approached "dynamic" in the sense that Falcon established in 1998.

That said, IL-2 will be played by the community as long as Falcon 4, I think - not for the campaign or immersion, but for its compatibility and function, especially in multiplayer. For campaign, I found that the community has worked their way back into canned campaigns and that's where I find my SP fun for this game - thankfully there's a lot of talented scenario designers out there.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote