Thread: Subnautica
View Single Post
Old 08-31-18, 09:13 AM   #28
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Same here, and that's the tack I took with the first one. Glad I did as I got the full experience anew. I'll wait for this one to finish as well. You'd think that with one Subnautica under their belts that the next one could go more smoothly (and quickly) but that's rarely how it seems to work.

There were times I felt creeped out as well, especially when encountering leviathans for the first time (the first time I got a fleeting glimpse of something far bigger than I imagined was awesome), but also in some caverns and just the inky depths where you can't see anything but are sure something is close by.

And also depth. It's just a game, but if you are able to suspend that disbelief, you can feel a sort of creeping claustrophobia, or whatever the depth-induced version of that is, when going very deep. In a discussion about Subnautica at another forum I made mention of how much I appreciated the fact that the devs didn't put in lots of gasping and breathing sounds like some games have. Subconsciously it made a big difference. In some games I find I am holding my breath as I play when underwater. Far Cry for whatever reason had a definite effect on me this way. Subnautica was far more relaxing in this regard. Near the pod, in the Safe Shallows it was mesmerizingly peaceful. Really enjoyed the whole experience.