View Single Post
Old 06-26-15, 08:06 AM   #4
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhapprich View Post
No offends, but did italian submarines actually ever sink an enemy vessel intentionally
Ofc watch the atlantic base of betasom (italian subs have operated with germans in atlantic, also doenitz have say good things about they), watch the submarines: Tazzoli and Da Vinci , that was the best sub of axis after the u boot for tonnage sink (100000-120000), or also others (some italian commander was also awarded by germans with iron cross, knight cross etc)
the problem was that italian sub was build for a war against france for example (ambush war out ports, like russian or british sometimes) not for a convoy war. Later with some adjustment (a new german style conn tower, and other) was a little better for they operating.
The usually zone was south atlantic, where they obtain many successes, not like u boot ofc (u boot have tactics and other optimized for convoy war) but the two best sub of axis for tonnage sunk, after the germans, was italians.
If you search on google this submarines (Tazzoli and Da Vinci) and their commanders, can see.
(Carlo Fecia di Cossato of Tazzoli, Gazzana of Da Vinci, and some other like i sad have also knight cross, iron cross, etc etc and just doenitz have greet italian submarines sometime, saying that the problem was the sub, not the men).
Also the commander of Atlantis, when have supply the submarine perla, was good impressed, and also when was sink, it's go on the tazzoli, and when arrived in france, have congratulated with fecia di cossato.
Watch the submarines of Betasom, in atlantic base, watch the missions of submarine Scirč (commanded by junio valerio borghese later commander of X flotilla mas of italian social republic, maybe the only italian troop that have complete autonomy by german HQ after the armistice of 43, that have transported the midgets sub in gibiltar and alexandria bases sinking the queen elizabeth and valiant battleships, where the same british admiral have awarded the durand de la penne (one of the men of midget sub, that the british have copied in their "chariots", churcill on that mission say: "today 6 italians with economical weapons have changed the balance of war in the mediterranean." or the submarine ascianghi that when the war was lost, continue to enter in enemy ports like bougie (algeria) sinking ships...and other missions like this. watch this. or if you know some u boot survivor, ask to him.).
In total italian subs sink 700 000 tonnage of ships. few in front of u boot. but i have just explained the technical problems of subs.
More tonnage of russian, that have much more problems of italians (restricted areas full of mines, few ships, technical problems, etc) having sink more than 300 000 tonnage in all war.
Also in spanish civil war have sink some ships (britain and urss call italian sub in spain: pirates, because they was neutral but help franco, like germans too).
The Enrico Toti have sink also a british sub, the triad in a mortal fight, in night. usually was british (have information by ultra) to sink axis sub outside the port. but the toti have met casually in night the triad, and after a duel have sink.
The german submariners begin was skeptical on italian submarines, but later (especially when we begin to train with german in gotenhafen) have appreciated much they. (also doenitz like i sad have do this, more than one time).
http://www.comandosupremo.com/leonar...submarine.html Watch this for example.
But this it's of italian font.
Then read also this: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=8823
A last thing: one of the last axis submarine to surrender was the italian sub torelli, that was fighting under japanese flag with italian japanese crew, and in august september of 45 have take down the last b 25 of war, and later was go to surrender.
Also the submarine of my grandpa (Torricelli, in east african colonies) have sink the destroyer : Karthoum. i think every british here can confirm this. (hit to a torpedo depot with deck guns, kartoum it's exploted later).
And the british commander have also congratulated with my grandpa commander after capturing it (without sub, autosink by the crew after being hit).

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 06-26-15 at 08:34 AM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote