View Single Post
Old 06-18-11, 06:35 AM   #1523
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Hi Urfish,

As you can see in the 1st post of this thread, it indeed was possible for me to change (and even add) numerous things in the sh3.exe. But that are mainly gameplay-relevant (one-dimensional) issues, e.g. make repair-times longer or to restrict snorkel-speed in dependency on windspeed and so on. That is possible (for someone with patience, assembler skills and knowledge of x86 CPU architecture), since one "only" needs to change the content of one variable (e.g. speed) in dependency of another variable (e.g. Windspeed).

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of graphics / shader programming and I must admit I wouldn't even know where to start to mod graphical things in assembler level without SDK. I assume that it will become very complex. I made one graphical fix (automatically move the watch officer to the bridge). That was my hardest and most time-consuming fix and the resulting code was very long).

Besides that, in my opinion, the graphics in sh3 is satisfying - for me. Why add transparent water of sh4? Is the water of the atlantic transparent? One year ago I took a ferry to Sylt. The water was dark. I couldn't even see 1 meter deep.

Assumption: The 1st step to import sh4/sh5 graphics into sh3 would be to locate the code of/for the shaders - in which files does it reside. Then, one has to change the jump-tables of the sh3.exe import section, so that function calls to graphics routines now find the sh4 code instead the sh3 code. But that will only work if these functions are compatible, that means, they use the same number of input- and output variables, otherwise you will get a problem with the stack -> CTD. I am pessimistic!!

Greetings.
h.sie