View Single Post
Old 03-04-19, 04:55 PM   #14
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Do we have any parameters on Japanese radar detection, i.e. ranges, number of sweeps required for detection, when it rolls out to the fleet and merchant marine, ship types that may not receive it, etc? I rarely use radar since it seems to be a tin-can magnet and large merchants turn away from it.

OTOH, after three career years of diving at every air contact, the boat became an ace in a day after sufficient annoyance, so maybe I've been missing out on radar too.
i am sure there is plenty of data available on IJN Radar Detection on the web. here is an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_...#Imperial_Navy

the use case here is that you are on the attack at close range. radar detection is not the real problem at the range you are attacking because your boat has probably been detected by surface radar. maybe. depends on a lot of variables but probably.

you can either use radar to help you locate enemy vessels at close range or rely on visual detection or stay submerged and try for a sonar shot, which is tough with WWII technology. keep in mind that you still not be able to lock on to a target using either technology...only visual contact will enable you to lock onto a target to fire a torpedo. at the range you are attacking, do you need target lock? use the info you have and attack. you will have to develop your skill at attacking without target lock. it will take practice and you will miss with torpedos but that is the cost of experience. just don't get run over by an AK or CA. it can ruin your whole day.

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote