View Single Post
Old 10-25-08, 05:41 AM   #30
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreford-Brown
Just a shot in the dark - could SH3 Commander be used and add it as part of the sabotage/malfunctions function?
Maybe if JScones makes one of his infrequent visits he can advise us.
Irish raised this with me many months ago.

Despite what people like wdg4587 will have you believe, what Irish wants to achieve is deceptively simple to do...but not via SH3Cmdr's sabotage/malfunctions feature.

A simple interface driven by a data file containing Irish's formulae is all that would be needed. The downside is the requirement to save and exit SH3 mid-patrol, which is one of the main reasons why I declined to pursue inclusion in SH3Cmdr: IMHO I can't see many players saving and exiting SH3 just to benefit from this feature. Although, if Irish found a satisfactory alternative to indicate a problem that utilised one of the save files rather than *_menu.txt, at least SH3 would not need to be exited, just the career.

IIRC Irish has already prepared most/all the rules, so at the most basic level all it needs is someone with time (ie not me) and programming 101 skills to build a simple interface that through user interaction finds the right files, generates a few random numbers, performs a few calculations based on the generated numbers and Irish's rules, and writes the results to the right files.

It could be run manually before SH3Cmdr is run, or if renamed to "SH3Weather.exe", it could be run by SH3Cmdr *instead* of SH3Weather.

Ultimately, it's just down to whether anyone thinks the return is worth the investment...
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote