Old 05-17-19, 07:23 PM   #24
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
Quoted for truth.

I remember when SH4 was being bashed for not being SH3, and then SH5 came out and guess what... it also wasn't SH3 either, so a major meltdown ensues. Then we don't get anything for nearly a decade (possibly because of the massive bad press SH5 received), and finally some indies are taking a chance on this genre, and... nope, not SH3... more moaning and griping from the grognards.

Don't get me wrong, SH3 was an absolutely fantastic game, and I played it to death over the course of many years. But limiting yourself to just one game for all time, and then bashing everything else which dares to do something even slightly different, well that's not a healthy mindset.
And that brings me to the second part of my diatribe.

I remember those later days as well. SH4 got trashed before its release, not only because it wasn't SH3, but it had the temerity to be about AMERICAN boats. It wasn't U-Boats, so it wasn't worth spitting on. Never mind that the original Silent Hunter was about the American submarine war in the Pacific. SH2 was an attempt to add U-boats to the mix, but there were complaints about the 'shooter' nature of the game. SH3 fixed that, and was loved for it.

Then SH4 got U-boats added to it, which was a good thing, but it was too soon after SH3 so the modders basically ignored it. SH5 was an attempt to go in a different direction, and I admit that I'm one of those who didn't like that direction and still don't. That said, I fully support SH5 and praise their efforts. I haven't yet played it with Wolves of Steel, but I'm looking forward to it when I find the time.

U-Boat? I'm intrigued. SH2 had little figures to show how many of your crew were alive or dead. SH3 was the first game to actually name the crew and let you give them medals. SH4 fixed the management problems by giving them their own watch bills. SH5 got rid of the crew except for a few key officers. I'm really looking forward to running a crew in U-Boat.

I still love SH3, and SH4 would top my list if only it had the same sort of mods available. I'm watching the development of U-Boat with great interest. If it turns into what I'm looking for visually and viscerally, then I'll be as happy as a clam. And if it turns into something else, something not for me? Well, I'll still support it. And I'll buy a copy pretty soon just so I can find out for myself. So far it's looking really good.