View Single Post
Old 02-18-17, 12:14 AM   #55
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Interestingly, I just bought a refurbished computer for a client that came with Windows 10 and it only has BIOS: no UEFI! That means that Windows 10 does not need UEFI to work any more than Ubuntu does.

I did some digging, because I was thinking that my old dual-core would have been one of the machines that would have been running Win7 IF I had installed it years ago...
So if I had taken Microsoft up on the "Free Win10 upgrade" my dual-core would have been running W10... but it doesn't have UEFI...

I wasn't sure, but didn't want to say yes, or no, until I found something "concrete".

The only thing that I did run across most places that I looked was that "OEM" installs of Win10 MUST have UEFI and Secure Boot, AND they must be must remain on...
That is, the user shouldn't be able to Disable the UEFI or Secure Boot....

Whether or not this is true, I DO NOT KNOW.

I've only setup one Win10 machine for someone (a gift from a family member), and I didn't go digging that deep into it.
Although, when I went to activate his Office 2016... err, excuse me, his relabeled "office 365". It wanted... everything.

I suggested Libre Office, showed him it was free, and explained that it wasn't going to stop working in 6 months. He agreed, I set it up to default to MS Office formats -so any files he sent to others would be readable- and he was good to go.

So... one step at a time!
One of these days I'll get a few of the "I don't know anything about computers, so Linux seems like something I couldn't do" bunch over here and show them my massive glowing full tower, then I'll boot it, let them see the RGB mechanical switch keyboard, and finally, turn them loose in KDE. *we need a "Evil Villian" / "Evil Overlord" laugh Smilie here*

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote