View Single Post
Old 12-15-17, 01:48 PM   #5567
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Tell ya what yyzBegonia, the files are in the Data / Sea / ShipName folder, which in this case, is "NDD_Shiratsuyu". Be forewarned that this is not the only DD (or any vessel for that matter) that has "writing" on the side. I have no idea how accurate the drawings are - and that's what those are, is drawings. Done by hand by the "ship skinner". As an example, here's the whole #1 skin:

That is a 1024x1024 72dpi file (re-sized for posting), editable in PhotoShop, or any graphics app that is able to edit DDS files. There are five different skins (10 files including the "LR" versions, which are 512x512) in this particular folder, of which, four have these "emblems" on them. Such as:

#3.

#4.

#5.

You'll notice some "shakiness" in the drawings, since it is done by hand, maybe with a digital pen, but probably with a mouse up close. The "resolution" also "stair-steps". Skin number 2 in this particular set has no drawings on the side, and would be a good "base" for a person to start doing their own artwork with (hint-hint)... |;^) - A person could make multiple copies of the original file, and just paste their "artwork" over the top in that center area. Make the 1024x1024 file, and then re-size it to 512x512 and "Save As..." for the LR version...

For an example "research" hit, here's the link to the wikipedia page with the Shiratsuyu Class
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirat...lass_destroyer

and an example of one of the ships' side paint jobs:

Dates come into play as to when the ships have those side characters on them. Now, member max-peck was looking into doing some skins for war vessels, but he was thinking about the "dazzle" schemes, or camouflage "measures", and not "decorations" such as those characters
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

From what I know of the currently active fellows on this team, none of us care one whit about "authenticity", so long as Mickey Mouse isn't drawn on the side of an IJN vessel and lit up with holiday lights - but it wouldn't surprise me any to see that they did in fact do something along those lines. Just so long as it looks like it's real is what matters most. The usual player doesn't know "orthography", much less how to read and interpret kana or kanji. However, since you are familiar with it, you are an excellent candidate to "mod" the skins... (hint-hint again )

In other words, if you're inclined to make a skin for any of the vessels, you are more than welcome to, either for your own personal use, or submit a sample to the team for consideration of incorporation into the mod, or as an add-in mod. Anyone else inclined to do similar is more than welcome also - seriously. Just let Rockin Robbins know that you're volunteering (PM is probably fine) and what you're doing, so we don't have four people doing the same thing (unless you're a "sub-team" - sorry, bad play on words ). The FotRSU team continually grows and shrinks. We've got "full-time", "part-time" and "consultant" people that are part of the team, and help is always appreciated. Right now, the team is busy getting ready for the next release, and really don't have time for "skiinning", as much as I want to do more of the USN "Measures" for various Classes, they're on the back burner, probably for a ~long~ time (hint-hint ). This also applies for getting existing mods ready for FotRSU. If you're so inclined, consult RR, get permission and do it. Your name will flash in lights on Broadway as tribute. In Wittenburg, MO, population 9 (I know it's more than 5, since Missy was pregnant last year!), but hey, Broadway!... ~SALUTE!!!~ (Hee-Haw style)

A word of caution though - Once you start modding, it is difficult to stop. I actually like doing it more than I like sailing the sea in my S18... ~sacrilege!~
I will be so glad if I could help! However since I'm still studying in the college I only have a few times to explore those files. And be honest my computer skills are limited Anyway it is the Christmas break and I may have some times to work on the skins of Japanese ships. BTW, I'm not full-agree with you that most of the folks doesn't know the orthography and make it looks like it's real is what matters most I believe there must be some Japanese guys playing this game, even this mod!