View Single Post
Old 05-03-10, 02:06 PM   #28
KnightsCross
Bosun

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Those Bloody Disc's

In 1993, I was classed A Grade fitness in the Army. I was an Assault Troop Instructor and having a great year. I was awarded The Soldiers Medallion for Exemplary Service and told I was going to Somalia as a Crew Commander AFV. Sounds good so far, I thought it was my year, well like you I buggered L4/5/S1 disc's, all I did was pick up a 30kg box of paper, dam, that was something I did almost daily. Some years after that I had a driver go through a red light and hit me on my motorbike, I'm lucky to be here, but that is a whole other story, this one left me with C4/5/6 in the neck and nerve damage. So I suppose I can say I understand your pain, although I don't think that's much of an achievement.LOL

Somalia Story
My mates that went over come back with a wealth of experiences, one of them goes like this
On one of the roads they had set up a road block, at night 2 men maned the boom, while the rest of them rested or slept inside a mud brick hut [another 7 men]. This went on for about 3 weeks and this particular night they all decided to sleep outside the hut along the wall. Around 3am they were awakened by load explosions and covered in debris
They reacted quickly and captured 3 insurgents on the other side of the hut after they had each thrown grenades into the hut. Apparently they were shocked to see them still alive as they had been watching them go into the hut. They were also taking fire from another group who escaped into the night. This other group must have told there story as they thought they saw it, [ ie grenades went into the hut and the Aussies came running out], because the local rumor went around that the Australians were bullet proof and you cant kill them
Sometimes it's good to be lucky
These men were first into Somalia, before the US & Black Hawk Down

Darren