View Single Post
Old 10-15-18, 03:38 AM   #17
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Closed kick starter beta started on Saturday (13th Oct)
I've not had a chance to play it myself yet, as I've not received my beta Key (long story) So all the information below is second hand.

First impressions /reactions from beta have been positive overall, but the game still needs a of alot of work, It is by no means in a state where its fully playable. Many bugs found but the devs are swift in fixing them and their communication and responsiveness has been exceptional. With them ploughing though the reports over what should be their weekend off!

Visually there is alot of praise and the boats interior in first person is rich in detail and very immersive. Some reported some very 'Das Boot' like situations with their boat bottomed on the ocean floor while frantically making repairs to get moving again, before they get poisoned by battery gas or run out of O2.

As expected It doesn't play like Silent Hunter, and its kind of a halfway house between a Subsim and a crew management game. of course this brings some concern that it could be in danger of walking a line where its too hardcore for survival/management fans, and to casual for hardcore simmers.
But that is still just speculation at this point.

How it develops over the course of the Beta and Early access is still wide open. And its clear the devs are serious and committed to making the project work, user feedback and request for certain features are being listened to and implemented if desirable / possible.

What I've seen so far is quite alot of request for more direct manual control of the sub rather than via ordering the AI crew who some times slip up as AI will. I had lengthy chat with one tester on discord yesterday.
His impression was that style of play is great when your sailing along, but unless you 'pause' time compression to issue orders combat can be a bit overwhelming and clunky at times especially when you are being hunted. Sounds like some streamlining maybe needed here as consistently pausing is rather immersion breaking.
Its also been said the game is very tough, with many being KIA on their first early war patrol - often by aircraft, but one reported being shelled at medium range while at periscope depth. I've been assured that there is no 'vampire vision' at night though!

Exciting project! And for just a humble 3 man indie team, what they have accomplished so far is very impressive indeed! Its still in the rough for now, but its potential to grow in to something special is definitely showing.
Patience is the order of the day on this one.

EDIT: Just received my Steam key this morning, WOOT!

Last edited by JU_88; 10-15-18 at 04:47 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote