View Single Post
Old 08-20-11, 12:39 PM   #84
simkodavid
Swabbie

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Are you going to buy me a new computer, with 8 gigs of RAM and a 5970 video card? Mine is six years old, single core, AGP video slot. The money spent on Win7 would be wasted on this machine.
First of all thanks for answering my question regarding Windows 7 64 bit.

About buying a new PC, I never buy new PCs, I always buy second hand parts from people which must always have the newest hardware.

I bought an Asus M/B, with quad Q6600 cpu and 4 GB for about $120, for extra $150 I bought HD 4870 and added 4 GB of ram, used of course, all from local ads at local forums. For windows 64 bit I asked a stuff member of a local college to purchase one for me (if he didn't buy for himself). Microsoft policy where I live is to grant every school teachers, college stuff members, students (students get 7 Pro x64 for free through MSDN), members of educational board and so on with the right to purchase OS or Office suite for about 20$ to 30$. Even some High-Tech companies offer all their employees with such deals, so it's not such a big problem to purchase a copy the legal way, if you happen to have a friend, or a friend of a friend who is a Microsoft employee, he can purchase for you any piece of software you like for 10% of the normal price (that was true 4 years ago, I'm not sure about now).

Now I'm about to buy E6700 / 3.2 Ghz Processor Asus M/b 4 GB ram and HD 5450 for 150$ which will be excellent for HTPC, I'm packing it in a used case+psu which I got for nothing because the case is ugly for my friend's taste. The only thing I had to buy new it the hard drive, for some reason, people upgrading their PC always tend to keep their old HD and add a new one, so for my gaming pc I bought a 500GB hd and for the HTPC I'll probably by 1TB or 2TB.

I'm sure that in other countries like the US, prices for used hardware is even cheaper but buying used H/W from eBay is very expensive when overseas shipment is included.

IMHO, new hardware is a waste of money, the money saved I use for a fast Internet connection, WWII DVDs on amazon and so on.
simkodavid is offline   Reply With Quote