View Single Post
Old 08-15-17, 10:56 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Game over.

In the past half an hour it has all come together. I had to note that the nVidia drivers could not be chnaged, leaving me with software rendering. I managed to shoot down what had remained of the UEFI, it seems, so that I cannot use the disk drive and the USB ports anymore. The UEFI can be entered, but nothign what I knew about BIOS helps me there to get things back on track. Running a Linux Mint update to get from 17.2 to 17.3, ended in a reboot at the end of the inmstallation - but booting into a Linux fallback procedure, or so they called it: in other words, the Linux installation does not work anymore, too. Wowh, Linux, UEFI, and this box have brought me down - I give up. Three days and two nights is enough.

The strange thing is - I still have the strong feelign that the hardware is okay. Its UEFI and Linux who did the bad, and worstened it.

I am now so much pissed that I think it is not even worth it for me to call for the warranty, I just want to get rid of it, so I will probably declare it as broken and sell it as such as fast as possible. I currently use my dual boot tower PC, and I stick with this one now as long as it lives. After that, another dual boot tower PC again. If any PC at all.

The alternative is - a cheap Chromebook, if that exists. Privacy can be forgotten of course, you are a naked star on the traffic crossroad with this thing, but security holes they use to close faster than anyone else. Then having all private files (texts, photos) only on USB sticks or external drives, not on the machine, handling them only offline and separated from the web, and online not doing anything of personal/privacy relevance, so that it does not matter how much they snoop into the machine to learn about the user. Maybe I then can even print photos again without needing to port them on a stick from Linux to Windows before getting acceptable results.

The most unwelcomed conclusion: I am left behind by the changes in computer technology, I do not understand enough of it anymore, and my old knowledge plays no role any longer. I just do not know this new stuff any more, and I find it extremely difficult to get into it, once you need to face a level below the shiny surface. And I start to wonder whether it really is worth it anyway. I read three books on Linux over the past 18 months - and it helped me nothing.

A tech crisis like this one I have never experienced in my Windows years, I must admit.

End of lament.