View Single Post
Old 11-21-11, 11:38 PM   #177
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Otherwise it's great that the movie asks a lot of good questions, and shows scenes that for 70 years, noone really had a chance to freely examine. But it's not a Russia anyone should really miss. And while it offers valuable clues to how Russia (and any other country) should NOT be like, it doesn't really offer any good ways out of Russia's recurring cycle of tragedy. Maybe because really there isn't and can't be a Russia without this ongoing social, economic, political, and cultural tragedy.
Hey, I'm glad you had time to watch the film.
Question: Did your relatives suffer under the Tsar? Where were they from in Russia? I think you've mentioned it before, but I forget.

I'm trying to re-watch the film myself. My Russian is kinda rusty, but I still understand the majority of the film.

You are totally correct that the film captures the spirit in Russia in the Mid-1990's. I'd love to hear the creator's opinion of Russia today.

I always felt sorry for Nicholas II. He was definatley the wrong person for the job, not that he had much say in it. As a natioal leader, he's totally incompetent.

It would have been interresting to see how Russia could have been, if he had listened to Stolypin. AFAIR, Nicholas didn't trust him (subverting his power), and imprisoned him or killed him off.