Old 07-19-16, 03:11 PM   #778
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
-

Is it legal to HEX edit the exe and include it in a mod? That would be like giving SH4 away for free, right? I don't know.

It would be nice to 'un-join' the two screens so each could be elevated to different heights (surface & air) - and display like the SH1 A scope & SJ radar stations. Probably a lot of HEX work and many other files, plus it would still be directional; which isn't historically accurate.

I don't know how powerful the 010 tool is yet.
That has been the opinion of SH4 modders from the beginning: that modding is the modification of configuration files in the /data directory. Everything else is hacking. If you read the EULA, which nobody does, we're specifically forbidden to deconstruct, modify, publish a derivative, blah, blah, blah with the executable file.

There has been one exception to that rule in SH4 and that has been MultiSH4, which basically makes a three byte hex edit to the exe to put saves in a directory of your choice (three letter names only!)

As far as decompiling the radar modules, rewriting them, hooking them into the exe so it doesn't know there's been a change, I can't imagine that flying. Early on the the game, 2007 and 2008 we were mighty glad Ubi gave us a moddable game and purposely chose not to do anything they might construe as invasion of their territory.

Our feeling was that if we wanted moddable games in the future we'd better keep our nose clean. So we made a strict definition of what permissible modding was.

I'm not familiar with what the SH3 modders have done with the exe there. But I'm not in favor of doing something just because we might not get called on it. I think we should do right because it's the right thing to do.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote