View Single Post
Old 09-26-16, 01:48 PM   #31
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
P.S. I forgot to mention this but, LINUX is the Kernel, it is the "Command Line". The GUI is built on top of that, so unless the 'Desktop' has gone through and made a Graphical interface for each and every program running on Linux, then some things will REQUIRE the use of the CL. Depending on how they interface with the desktop and program, they might not work with all desktops. I've had it happen before.
(Now I am running "Gnome Disk Utility" in KDE, and it works. But I've had several different versions of Fedora and a few other Distros, like, Knoppix, that the desktops were in a "transitional" phase, so using some programs designed for GNOME, etc, in KDE, didn't want to work.)

P.P.S. This had nothing to do with the OP, or M$.... hmm. I must be getting easily distractable... oh look! a squirel!
And that is where Windows went wrong. Having the command line as a base meant first of all that the command line would be healthy and robust, unlike the shriveled remains of DOS still barely breathing in the Windows Command Window. The Linux terminal is the Holy Temple of Linux, the place from which all blessings flow, the ultimate storehouse of the power that is within the operating system.

That means that you can choose your GUI. It means you can choose your file manager. It means you can choose your browser without restriction. It means a lot more freedom and a lot more possibilities for getting things done. It means that the difference between Fedora and Ubuntu is totally unimportant, as it's possible to install all the programs that make Ubuntu Ubuntu into Fedora and versa vica.

It's the reason Unity is a decent GUI now. People who didn't like it could change to something else in sixty seconds. And they could go back in 60 seconds. I have Unity, Lubuntu, LXDE, OpenBox, KDE Plasma, MATE, GNOME and others all able to be switched to in much less than a minute. Lately Ive kind of settled on Unity. It's come a vast distance since it was so terrible. Why? With the others to take up the slack, it took the pressure off Unity. They were free to innovate.

When Windows sucks (and it does) there are no alternatives but live with it or leave Windows entirely. That will never be the case with Linux.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote