View Single Post
Old 01-15-13, 08:43 PM   #34
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I know I'm bringing back a slightly old thread, but I was leery about starting a new on for this.

The last flight sims I played were Red Baron 3D and European Air War. Both had their weaknesses, and both were a lot of fun.

I just purchased Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 3, the point being to get Over Flanders Fields. I'm also currently downloading the F2P version of Rise Of Flight. I've said a lot of bad things about paying to get extra stuff, and I still feel that way about SHO, but to get cool WW1 planes? Oh yeah!

I'm still waiting until I can get a new computer so I can play these in all their glory, but I felt like starting the experience now.

Next I suppose I'll need a joystick, and I guess I'll have to get IL-2 sooner or later. We'll see how it goes.

CFS3 is very good. Installing mods however....I tore my hair out this past summer trying to get the Pacific Theatre mods running. It involves a whole bunch of careful steps. I didn't look at OFF but the mods i did install were unfinished. The PTO Solomons mod only had a couple maps and the PTO Rising Sun Mod was NOT finished. Even for a Beta...it was rough. I ended up just adding a plane or two to the game and that was the end of my CFS3 for the summer.

I highly recommend IL-2 1946 though! The stock game is very fun! There aren't many sims you can say that about. Stock CFS3 is fun....but it gets boring after a while. If you get a mod working on CFS3, I'd love to hear about it.

Also, if you ever get the chance, play Jetfighter V. It only has 3 jets, but it's pretty fun.