View Single Post
Old 08-02-17, 04:40 AM   #42
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFin View Post
NASA combined forces with several other organizations and scanned the earth with satellites and ships and they offer (for free) bathymetric data with 30 arcsecond (~1 km at the equator) resolution of the whole world.
Hi Yellowfin, in the past I had read about bathymetric data offered by NASA. All I could find from them is this page. Bathymetric maps you can download from there have a max resolution of 10800x10800 sq. pixels, each covering an area of 90 deg of latitude x 90 degrees of longitude, i.e. 120 pixels per degree or, as you put it, 1 pixel per 30 arcseconds.
Unfortunately, that's exactly the resolution of SHIII's height maps, so data shared by NASA doesn't add much to what we already have in stock game.

EDIT: talking about vertical resolution, NASA bathymetric maps are greyscale images. A gray value/depth scale is not provided, but it is likely that white pixels on them are equal to a depth of 0 m, while the black colour should represent the deepest point on Earth (i.e. the Mariana Trench = ca. 10,994m u.s.l.). There are 256 shades of gray in a grayscale image. Assuming that tones of gray are equally spaced on those maps, each tone would cover a bathymetric range of ca. 43m (10,994/256).
Talking about a WWII sub simulation, such a depth resoltution would be way too much for the deepest points (which we would never visit), and not enough for the shallowest waters around land masses. A few days ago, Kendras has posted a depth scale as used in SHIII. If you look at it, you will notice that -as it is logical- map colors denoting shallow waters cover a much narrower depth range than the ones used for deep waters.

Last edited by gap; 08-02-17 at 05:27 AM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote