View Single Post
Old 03-31-19, 11:24 AM   #7936
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I found the same thing. It has to do with approaching on the surface. I had an agent insertion mission and had the same results when approaching on the surface. I got the Coast Watcher to leave my boat by approaching the drop point (I use 500-600 yards to the shore point) by going to periscope depth at about 5-6 NM from the shore point, approaching to the drop off point I selected, stopping the boat and surfacing. I get the message request to launch the raft even before surfacing is complete. That seems to work for me, at least.

I did have one drop mission where the raft self-destructed in a large explosion almost immediately after leaving my boat! The mission was still considered complete, my crew announced a ship contact at close range (!), I could still see the raft on the Nav Map (contacts on), but visually the raft was aflame. Hope he made it. I didn't stick around to find out.

Just ran second insertion mission, Jeju left Feb 14 1942, arrived March 10, 1942. Approached on the surface in rain storm and agent jumped into boat as soon as I killed power and was inserted, while still moving at 4 knots. Believe first insertion, December 9,1941, Pearl Harbor. Mission: Deposit spy near Kushiro, is broken.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 03-31-19 at 11:54 AM.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote