View Single Post
Old 06-29-18, 06:34 AM   #9
Spraki
Watch

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Hi Valadon,

I myself am a SH5 newbie. I too had read the abyssmal reviews of the game, but it seems SH5 (and SH in general) is saved by the community =), and the dear mods people made.

Personally, I played SH1 like crazy, and for a long while SH2. I have no experience in SH3 or 4 -- and 5, I've "barely begun".

I see you've made your decision.

What I can say about SH5 (with TWOS, as I immediately installed that one), is that it is quite beautiful. There is a LOT to learn and it never get's boring. There is nothing more satisfying that doing all the "math and technobabble" no other friend would understand and the resulting BOOOOM! (or miss lol)

SH5/TWOS brings in a lot of toys. Like interactive attack discs and other stuff, where you can literally do ingame calculations. And it really sparks your mind and interest on the maths. Ofc, SH4 and 3 could do the same.

SH5 is probably the ugly duckling redheaded stepchild, but I really enjoy it. The mods also bring in the lovely DAS BOOT soundtrack, and you do get that drive when the "Konvoi" theme plays.

I too will be playing SH4 at some point. Or even SH3, I remember reading somebody who added the SeaQuest DSV lol.

Quote:
p.s. I am not hesitant to get it because of the money, especially being only $3, it's more that I don't want to put hours into getting it modded and working on to find it's not the game for me.
Okay. The modding part miiiiiight be a bit tricky.

There are indeed several steps to do. And if you do one wrong, you'll have to do a fresh install again. AFAIK though, you don't have to worry about the "steam sh5.exe" issue, as TWOS seems to come with a fixer already. At least for me, that worked well

Nonetheless, you do need to do some clicking. But TWOS mod already comes with a ton of other mods. So once all that installing and activating is done, you don't really need to mess with it again ever. As silly as that sounds. It's worth it though =)

Just be sure to do the research as TWOS is kinda like an all-inclusive total conversion, where you can't just mix in other mods like that.

About subs:

Suppose SH1 is old, but... SH1 comes with several playable American subs. Ranging from the baby S-class, to Balao, T-class (err, was that Trench class? I forgot!) and even the big V-subs like the Narwhal nautilus, with their two BIG UMPF deck guns.

SH2 - No idea which class was used, but it was german. Suppose it stuck with standard VIIs, as with SH5.
No idea on SH3 or 4.

I suppose SH4 without mods also gives you a few other playable subs(?).

Wish vanilla Sh5 had a selection of smaller and larger subs, like the XXI. Heard that was quite the Uboot-CRUISER in terms of range.
Spraki is offline   Reply With Quote