View Single Post
Old 09-15-15, 09:48 AM   #350
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelSanersLite View Post
Something a lot of people don't realize about bombs is that they generally don't explode on contact and there is a lot of good reasons for this. A 0.1-1 second delay is pretty typical depending on a lot of factors. Fuze delays must be set on the ground before takeoff

Taking the example of a american an-m64 (which is pretty typical of 500 lb/250kg bombs of the era)
Minimum Safe Release Altitude: 2,500 feet
Striking Velocity from 2,500 feet release: 450-750 feet/second (depends on dive angle and aircraft speed! Will be higher from a higher release altitude!)

Contact with the water would slow it down some, but we'll simplify here.
Depending on the delay setting and release speed, a miss will explode at a depth of 45-75 feet with a delay of 0.1 seconds. Similarly, explosion depth would be 225-375 feet with a 0.5 second delay setting. Just like a depth charge, if it is close and explodes underneath you, it could seriously mess up your boat.

Long story short, I advise you dive deep the second you make contact with an aircraft. Though they have to get pretty dang close to spot you submerged at all.
A 2500ft release is going to have serious accuracy issues and i think the slowing it down some is a bit of an understatement. I recall an episode of mythbusters where they tested if water was bulletproof. Indeed this was plausible but I was especially surprised to learn that the faster the projectile hit the water, the less it penetrated. Furthermore the larger the projectile the less it penetrated the surface tension of the water. So what this means for a 500 pounder doing 0.46 to 0.67 mach is unclear. In any case whatever the AI slants are dropping on me is from well under that height.
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote