View Single Post
Old 12-11-09, 10:36 AM   #22
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
So the NYGM version will be better ? Is that correct ?
Sorry I did not explain it well. Graphically it will be exactly the same, but it will come with a sensors file adapted to NYGM. If you enable the mod as it is right now over NYGM, the superb work done in NYGM with the sensors will be messed up. But you can test it already as for the graphical aspect if you want, just beware that the Ai detection will not be 100% accurate

Quote:
Also, what do you mean by the "hull-down effect" ?
When ships are distant, beyond the horizon (Which is at about 8000 metres when viewed from an uboat's bridge) they appear to have the hull below the water, an effect caused by the curvature of the earth. The more distant they are, the less you see from them, until only the higher parts can be seen, sometimes only the smoke column above the ship. With 20km environment, this effect can be made noticeable enough and allow you to overtake the target seeing only tips of the masts.

Other environment mod, mainly OLCE and those based directly upon it do not have that effect in benefit of a sharper horizon, correctly rendered waves and no "masts floating in the fog" effect due to limitations in the way the SH3 engine renders this effect. OLCE ships since some time ago with an improved version that makes it noticeable when a ship is before or beyond the horizon (Which helps you estimate the distance to it, as in real life), but a ship at maximum distance is not completely "hull down", i.e. the way it "sinks" in the horizon is not proportionally correct.

Quote:
And finally, could i ask what your mod list is Hitman ? We share a similar passion for realism methinks
Right now I use NYGM and GWX with my optics mod (A new version of my optics is in progress) and the Manos 16km environment, but I will of course switch to the 20k one for NYGM as soon as it becomes available. I also enable IABL's merchant ships, My compass mod, lite harbour traffic and Open hatch.