View Single Post
Old 02-28-08, 05:06 AM   #623
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl

@CCIP & Boris : since S3D works for both SH3 & 4 I guess that yes the s-boot could be more or less easily ported to SH4. The main problem I can see right now is that I don't have SH4
Since I never even tryed it, what do you think would be really better if you could play the mod in SH4 ? (It's a real question)

Now about the mod, I've just downloaded Skwasjer new version of S3D and at first look it really rocks, I'm gonna add a third rudder and a third propeller (all working) right away
Maybe that's a question we should put to the community, but personally I see it as the way forward. The SH3 engine, although it still looks quite nice, is pretty outdated, and much nicer effects are available in SH4. A major issue is the ability to change screen resolutions and support for widescreen monitors, not to mention the transparent water, much further view distances and hugely improved load times.

However, it's no picnic. It's not just about porting over the S-Boot model... The SH4 GUI will need updating, there need to be new ports created in the Channel for the S-boat, a whole range of new shipping will also have to be ported or created from scratch, planes need to be ported or done from scratch, a whole campaign needs to be scripted (but which would only need to be the Englisch channel for starters). Of course permissions need to be gathered from various modders which might cause problems, etc.

Even if it's a big task, I think it should be done sooner or later, and like I said, because the S-Boot has only a small area of operations, it might be a nice place to start. Other modders (the atlantic sharks) are already working on a U-boat port to SH4, so it might be useful to see how far they've gotten. A major issue would also be getting the GWX team on side, as most of the vast content and innovations SH3 really has these days, comes from them... and I know they aren't ready for the move to SH4 just yet.

Other than that, good news on the screws! I was going to ask about that, but it seems you already on top of it.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote