View Single Post
Old 05-27-15, 08:30 AM   #42
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40
I'm not too keen on mods that alter reality for the sake of more challenging gameplay. I hope folks don't take that the wrong way, it's just me. I hope your mod will have enough realism (as much as could be expected from a computer sim) to keep the "hard core guys" interested.

Well, so do I.

Realism.....Gameplay
Realism.....Gameplay

That's the balance which makes any simulation worth playing. As a "gamer" (I've been one since playing my first Avalon Hill board game at age 11), I know there has to be a balance between the two. For instance, a player wants realism.....yet no game, or mod, has us traveling in real time to our patrol point. Time compression is a must, because who wants to spend a week's worth of real time getting to your assigned area? But, the truth is.....that is REALISTIC!! What one person see's as realism, another see's it as folly. The best game should have content for both sides, allowing for several ways to play, depending on the player to choose his realism level.

Some mods have restricted navigation aids, or removed specific elements of the game for the sake of "realism". However, I see no reason to do this IF the stock game has an option setting that allows you to remove it when you want. I don't think a mod should remove game play features just for the sake of "realism"......yet they allow Time Compression to exist?!? I'm all for realism, but not at the adverse effect to gameplay.

I don't know how many of you have run across the U.S. Naval Technical Mission report of Japan's scientific and technological developments during the war? It's interesting to learn some of the findings we made after the war. Frankly, some aspects of their development are quite surprising. The general rule being.....we gave them too much credit for their technology!! I'll balance gameplay and realism based on readings like these.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 05-27-15 at 02:10 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote