View Single Post
Old 06-03-12, 07:01 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

For MAD you need to bring the detector very close to the target. The Germans, and others probabbly as well are said to have dev eloped steel that is antimagnetic to defeat mines. That the real purpose for such special steel is to avoid too huge distortions of the earth's magnertic fields, is often forgotten. When the 212 entered service years ago, some military analyst in I think the FAZ newspaper dared to claim that it were practically invulnerable to any MAD sensors in service. Don't know if that is true. Just saying that it may be true.

The American navy has tried for two years or so to detect a Swedish Gotland submarine - and that even was within limited boundaries with a rough idea of where the sub should be. In real war, you would not even know for sure that there is a sub in a given region. The Swedes reported that they drove at will circles around the "hunters" and still were not detected. I do not buy it when some here have claimed that the navy detected them nevertheless and just acted as if they did not to deceive the Swedes and the world - I think the simplier explanation is that some took it queer that their team had lost.
And as Catfish said, small SS have repeatedly "sunk" carriers in random meetings as well at excercises. Even older, louder types.

The only advantage that an SSN has over a modern SS in an actual combat situation and running battle, is that it can sprint for its targets on the surface even when that tries to run away, and can also outrun a SS, which is slower - not as slow anymore than older SS used to be, but still slower than SSN. The SS has the tactical disadvanatge that it needs better strategic planning, intel and/or luck to be placed in a surface group's route - it cannot actively hunt it down by speed like an SSN can (at the price of becoming noisy, btw.).

So layman that I am, when needing to bet money on any of these three: a surface group, an SSN or a modern SS, I always bet on the modern SS from Sweden (Gotland, AIP Sterling engines) and Germany (212/214, fuel cells, Diesel, synchronous motor).

Let'S face it: if you are a skimmer and are up against a modern sub, than you have drawn the azz-card. That simple.